John Brown was born May 26, 1808 and died September 7, 1886. John married Martha Eaves on April 1, 1830. John and Martha lived in the section of Elbert County called “Goshen.” It is near where today’s Rehoboth Baptist Church stands. Both John and Martha are buried at Rehoboth Baptist Church.
Here is the information as it is given in the 1850 census of Elbert County, Georgia:
This list includes John and Martha Brown and their children born before 1850.
I remember my grandfather telling me about three of his uncles that died in the Civil War:
- Ira W. Brown born 1830 in Elbert County, Ga; Died September 26, 1862 in the Civil War Hospital in Lynchburg, Virginia at the age of 19.
- James Franklin Brown born 1831 in Elbert County, Ga; Died in 1962 in the Civil War in West Virginia in 1962
- Middleton P. Brown born 1838 in Elbert County, Died December 14, 1862 in the Civil War Hospital in Staunton, Virginia. Buried in Thornrose Cemetery in Staunton.
- Mary E Brown March 4, 1827 – Death Date Unknown
- Rebecca Caroline Brown February 17, 1832 – December 14, 1919
- John Brown 1834 – Death Date Unknown
- Julie Ann Brown July 2, 1834 – February 1908
- Elizabeth Brown 1836 – Death Date Unknown
- Loney E Brown October 25, 1939 – May 19, 1896
- William Tucker Brown About 1842 – Death Date Unknown
- William Abram Brown 1848 – 1896